Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Week Ten, theme "Wipe Away the Tears"

Wipe away the tears little one,
life has just begun.
Silver spoon and golden goblet have you not,
cause what you've got is what you've got.
Ain't nobody gonna feel sorry for you,
nobody's gonna make it right.
They'll look on you with pity,
then rest their heads at night.
Standin' on the outside,
always lookin' in.
When you gonna figure out
the rich will always think they win?
Odd man out, Old Mother Hubbard,
that's the story of your life.
Ain't no sense in trying to trick fate,
the only one who gets fooled is you.
You've heard the saying,
"The clothes make the man."
Well what's that make you
when all you've got is second-hand?
Used up, broken, and tossed out;
that's what this world will do to ya.
Better put your hopes in a Heaven,
cause here it may only be Hell.
Ain't trying to be all down,
just puttin' it like it is,
sayin' what I mean, and meanin' what I say.
Sometimes life bites,
so go on and bite back!
If I've made you mad enough,
then stand up and fight the fight!
Remember where you came from,
then find out where your headed.
Make a bridge from there to here,
and build it for yourself.
If there's one thing I've learned in life,
nothing worth having is free.
The world will tell you,
"Take what you can get!"
Is that they way you want to live?
Haven't you seen enough of that yet?
Pick up your chin, put your face to the sun.
Your life can be what you make of it,
don't let them tell you different.
Did you get the message?
It doesn't have to be this way.
You are who you decide to be -
not who they say you are!
Skid Row, Park Avenue -
its all just dirt to me.
Its not where you come from baby,
its where you want to be!
So wipe away those tears,
let the past stay in the past.
You can make your own future,
you can write your own destiny!

7 Comments:

Blogger johngoldfine said...

What's your take on this piece?

November 3, 2004 at 6:15 PM  
Blogger josiejo said...

Here's what I was trying to say:
When people are born into poverty, it seems like they just end up accepting that that is there place in life, that it has to be that way. I see poverty run in cycles all around us - it's a spin on "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer" - but my intentions are to get a rise out of the reader, to get them to think "Wait a minute! Who does she think she is saying I ain't nothin' and won't ever be nothin'?" To get a little anger going to make the reader say "Yeah, I may have been born white trash but I'll be damned if I'm going to stay that way, who do you think you are telling me that's the way it is? I can become what I want, I'm in charge of my destiny!"

After reading through it several times, I see some lines I will probably drop... but a few of the lines that really punch the message out are:

Silver spoon and golden goblet have you not,
cause what you've got is what you've got.

Sometimes life bites,
so go on and bite back!
If I've made you mad enough,
then stand up and fight the fight!

Skid Row, Park Avenue -
its all just dirt to me.
Its not where you come from baby,
its where you want to be!

November 3, 2004 at 8:05 PM  
Blogger johngoldfine said...

You've got lyrics to a hit country song here. I hope for your sake you like country.

November 3, 2004 at 9:02 PM  
Blogger josiejo said...

Country? I was thinking it looked more like rap - but yeah, I guess country would work too. Or, why not mix it up and put a little rap in some country?

November 4, 2004 at 7:14 AM  
Blogger johngoldfine said...

Mix it however you want, it screams 'country' to this city boy. Hey, seriously, I can hear the chords, the back-up, the vocals reaching for that mix of pride, fear, resentment, resignation...that spell 'country.'

November 4, 2004 at 11:22 AM  
Blogger josiejo said...

Well how do ya like that? Know anyone who plays? Ha ha ha ha....

November 4, 2004 at 3:24 PM  
Blogger Goodman441 said...

You Will Very Easily Earn An Extra $200, $500, Even $1000+ Every Week With Only 15 Minutes Of Your Time...

Click HERE

November 7, 2005 at 6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home